Camper Renovation - Cushions

 I can’t even remember what year we bought our trailer, but it was like 2015 or 2016... Maybe even 2017. Haha!

Anyway, we bought it for $500. Yep! That’s it. It is a 1978 camper, and boy can you tell! It’s 70’s green everywhere! But hey, it’s okay! It’s a great trailer and we’ve used it a lot.

We haven’t changed anything in it, until this year. We bought outdoor fabric for the cushions and curtains. Two different, but matching, styles for the cushions and a different style, but again matching, for the curtains. Then we bought the peel-n-stick flooring. We also changed out the lights for LED ones. I sewed the new covers to be like pillow cases, so I didn’t have to worry about zippers. We bought the sticky Velcro to hold the opening shut. Although because I was in a hurry, I didn’t buy the fabric kind, and it does NOT work very well. I am going to find the fabric kind!

We bought the fabric from JoAnn’s. It was on sale for 60-70% off, which is really nice! Outdoor fabric is expensive! I bought the Velcro from Target, because they are the only ones who had Velcro in stock!

The smaller cushions worked so much better than the larger ones. They are a nice fit and look good. The larger ones were harder to measure and sew. Although I know I measured them all the same, but the one red one came out way to long and the other red one came out way to short. 🤷🏻‍♀️ So I need to fix them, but I didn’t have time before we left for our Flaming Gorge camping trip a couple weekends ago. I also didn’t have time to make the curtains. One, I’m not sure how to take the old ones off and Two, I’m not sure if we can find the little plastic things to hook them to the “rod”.

This is the 70’s fabric on the cushions:




Here is what they look like now:


(As you can sorta see in the corner of this photo, the flooring is the original green.)

I folded the fabric in half and cut it. Then I sewed and surged down the long side and the one short side. I then sewed across the bottom corners (where I sewed and where it was folded) to make the corners “fold” around the cushion better. Then I hemmed the fabric around the opening and sewed it. I used a zig-zag stitch in all the sewing to better hold it together.

Here is a photo of us camping:


As you can see in this photo, the Velcro is not holding that cover closed very well.

Next I will share the flooring.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brichette's Bridals

Pink Chicken Coop - DIY Chicken Coop