Grow Your Own Sprouts

 Did you know that you can grow your own sprouts?

I didn't either until a friend on Instagram showed how she does it! Her name is Nicole and this is her Flicker Farm Instagram

I really love sprouts.  So you can imagine my excitement when I found out I can grow them myself.  They aren't hard to grow, and it's really quiet fun!

First off I bought some Alfalfa seed from Gurney's It says they are out of stock right now, but you can buy them from anywhere and they would work.

Here is what to do:

  • Put 1 tbsp of seeds into a jar (I used a mason jar)
  • Add just enough water to cover the seeds
  • Soak for 8-12 hours on the counter
  • Drain the water (you could put cheese cloth over the top, but I found it easier to just put a spoon or my finger {washed} on the edge to stop the seeds from coming out)
  • Rinse the seeds several times until the water is clear
  • Leave the seeds, without water, in the mason jar on your counter (I had ours on the little shelf by the window above our kitchen sink.  They don't get direct sunlight)
  • Rinse and drain the seeds 2 times per day for 4-6 days
  • Dump everything from the mason jar into a large bowl
  • Fill the bowl up with water and let sit a minute to separate the sprouts from the shells and unsprouted seeds.
  • I used my clean hands and grabbed the sprouts from the top
  • I put them in an air tight container and stored in the fridge
  • They last about a week for me














I add them to my sandwiches and salads.  What would you add them to?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brichette's Bridals

Pink Chicken Coop - DIY Chicken Coop