Wholehearted - Just Open The Door

On Sunday in Relief Society, we discussed the talk by sister Michelle D. Craig Wholehearted from the October 2022 General Conference.

I don't usually blog about our discussions, but I need to start doing it and all the time.  Then I can remember the feelings and impressions that I get, and maybe someone else needs to hear it.

I don't want to type her whole talk, so please take the time to read or listen to it.  It's really good!

I'm just going to type my feelings and impressions and hope everything comes out the way I want and feel it to.

We all have hardships that we go through.  A lot of the time we feel so alone.  It feels like no one will understand and no one can help.  I know, I've been there. You feel so weighed down with sadness, confusion, depression, loneliness, and sometimes anger, that you feel like there is no help.

I know that it's hard, but that is when you need to throw yourself into reading the scriptures, praying, conference talks, and anything else that has to do with Heavenly Father or Jesus Christ.  They want to help us.  They are ALWAYS there for us, and all they are waiting for is us to "Just Open the Door"!

Sister Craig talks about a time her brother's pranked her seven-year-old sister.  They were getting new carpet and needed to tear out the old carpet.  Her sister was sleeping, so her brothers quietly moved out the furniture, except her and the bed, and ripped the carpet out.  Then they decided to take all her clothes out of the closet and left her a note that said "We Moved.  We will write in a couple days to let you know where we are."  When her sister didn't come down to breakfast her bothers went up and checked on her.  She was hiding in her closet crying.  Later her sister reflected on this time and said, "All I had to do was open the door and I would have known that everything was okay."

So how many times have we not even thought about "Opening the door"?  It's that simple.  All we have to do is open the door and ask Heavenly Father and Jesus to help us know that everything will be or is okay.  That no matter how bad things get, they are always on the other side of the door waiting for us to do our part and just "Open the door"!

Sister Craig also talks about an article her friend sent her from the Nebraska Advertiser dated July 9, 1857.  It read "This morning early a company of Mormons passed through on their journey to Salt Lake.  Woman (not very delicate to be sure) dragging hand cars like beasts, one [woman] tumbled down in this black mud which caused a slight halt in the procession, little children trudged along in their [strange] foreign dress looking as determined as their mothers.  She talks about how she's thought about this mud-drenched woman and asks herself some questions.  Then she talks about how Joseph F. Smith spoke of the inner strength of these pioneer women and that they couldn't be blinded or turned away from their convictions in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the mission of Joseph Smith, because they knew what was revealed and they understood what needed to be done.

She then goes on to say that there are three important truths that we need to believe and grow in.

First - We can keep our covenants, even when it is not easy.

Second - We can act in faith.

Third - We can be wholehearted and joyful in our devotion.

Heavenly Father wants us to learn and grow, and the only way to do that is through our experiences and hard times.  He told us it wouldn't be easy, but that it would be worth it!

Sister Craig says: Living in convenience does not bring power.  The power we need to withstand the heat of our day is the Lord's power, and His power flows through our covenants with Him.  To lean in with our faith when facing strong headwinds - to sincerely strive each day to do what we covenanted with the Savior we would do, even and especially when we are tired, worried, and wrestling with troubling questions and issues - is to gradually receive His light, His strength, His love, His spirit, His peace.

To act in faith, is like I shared earlier, Just Open the Door.  We have to have faith that they are on the other side just waiting to help us.  That we truly are loved and wanted.

What does wholehearted mean to you?  The definition is: showing or characterized by complete sincerity and commitment.

So are we sincerely committed to our devotion to Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and in returning to them.  Are we sincerely committed to do what we need to, to help others in their devotion?

As she says: "When hard times come, I try to remember that I chose to follow Jesus Christ before I came to earth and that challenges to my faith, my health, and my endurance are all part of the reason I'm here.  I to try to remember that we chose to follow Jesus, otherwise we wouldn't be here.  That we knew what we would have to face and deal with in order to receive a body and become like Heavenly Father.  That we rejoiced in Jesus's plan.  Sister Craig says: I certainly should never think that today's trial calls into question God's love for me or let it turn my faith in Him into doubt.  Trials do not mean that the plan is failing; they are part of the plan meant to help me seek God.  I become more like him when I endure patiently, and hopefully, like Him, when in agony, I pray more earnestly.

I know that if we keep our covenants that we made, no matter what, do our best to act in faith in everything we do, and be wholehearted and joyful in our devotion we can be amazing disciples of Jesus Christ and be able to get through any trial and hard times that come our way.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brichette's Bridals

Pink Chicken Coop - DIY Chicken Coop